Thursday, May 29, 2008

The All-Purpose Stomachache

The kids are gone now, but I wanted to add something funny Evelyn did. She said her tummy hurt the first day here when she didn't want to eat any more dinner. I didn't really believe her, and I don't remember what happened after that. The next day, Evelyn claimed that her tummy hurt and she therefore needed cookies. She continued this pattern of useful tummy aches.

She said her tummy hurt again another day and soon after had to poop a lot. Shauna was surprised at the quantity and we started to believe that maybe Evelyn was telling the truth some of the time.

But Evelyn reached her creative pinnacle on Wednesday night. In the middle of dinner, she said her tummy hurt and then...

"I think I need a brownie."

"No, you need to eat your dinner and we don't have any more brownies."

"I just want some. I just want a brownie. My tummy hurts."

And so on. She quit asking after a moment, and like 3 minutes later we told the kids that they were all going to take baths after dinner. Evelyn didn't want to at first and was kind of complaining when she explained:

"My tummy hurts."

"I'm sorry Evelyn. Are you OK? Do you need to use the bathroom?"

"No. My tummy hurts means I don't need to take a bath."

This may be one of those things where you had to be there, but Shauna and I just cracked up laughing. You could tell Evelyn was unsure about what was so funny, but she smiled and was proud of her joke anyway. She eventually took a bath, all was well, and her stomach made it to Salt Lake all in one piece.

2 comments:

ncg said...

I just wanted to say thanks for the blog and watching the kids.

Evelyn is basically always trying out new ways to getting out of basic maintenance - an inherited trait I am sure.

We were out of internet contact for basically the last half of the trip so we were not able to catch the last posts.

Jeni said...

It has been so funny to read this because everything has been so "classic Evelyn". Like the whole tummy thing-- it is so hard to know with that girl! My guess is that 90% of the time she is just trying to get something and the other ten she means it,--- but if she had actually eaten her dinner it wouldn't hurt :-)
I love it that she told you her tummy was hurting to not take a bath!